Friday, September 14, 2007

When Memories Expire and Emotions Consume Me, What Do I Hope For?

The Religion Editor for the Call & Post, J. Darwin Hollingsworth wrote an opinion piece entitle “Cleaning and Cry”. Though I think the title doesn’t suit the article, I understood what he was trying to do. I really thought it was something that my blog readers should read (so check that out!) Because it gave me a lot to think and pray about, I feel compelled to continue the dialogue he started in the September 12th’ issue.

I think everyone can relate to feeling alone because our experiences have to be put on hold with people we love... and sometimes those memories just aren't enough to keep a smile on our face... There is no real emotion for the way you feel during that situation. There is no politically correct phrase that has been created to define or describe that feeling, either.

Lately, circumstances have had my spirits a bit low... Many of which wouldn’t have affected me quiet as much if I didn’t have to be away for long extended periods of time from people that know me for who I really am, not shallow misconstrued perceptions. I've been praying and reading my Bible, but sometimes those sad (for lack of a better word) feelings just will not go away...

I asked a Christian friend to pray for me, though I was a bit nervous that my request would spread my negative vibe. Knowing that my friend lives far from family and friends, as I do, I said, “I hope that by asking you to pray for my situation(s) that I haven't dumped any of that on to you... I just know that the prayers of a righteous man is powerful and effective... (James 5:16)”

We all go through something, and sometimes just like memories that make us cry, prayer and scripture reading don’t seem to be a good enough immediate answer… That’s only an illusion! Psalm 34:19 says, "A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all." Our circumstances and rejection from things and people in the world will only bring us back to God, because everything belongs to him. He will welcome his children back with open arms. (Job 41:11, 2 Chronicles 30:9)

Just because we go through times where our emotions consume/control us, it doesn’t mean there is no hope for us. Mark 14:38 says, “Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.” We have to deny ourselves, storing somewhere in the back of our mind that Jesus, the Son of God, died for me and already bore this pain. Know that when you have but no other alternative to keep living through pain, you can hold on to that faith.

Going to another Christian friend for prayer is exactly what God’s children should do. (Acts 12:5) A true friend will remind you when you are weak that, “God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.” (1 Corinthians 1:9). That is exactly what my friend did for me. ☺


What Must One Do to Be Saved:

Hear the Gospel (Romans 10:17)
Believe the Gospel (Hebrews 11:6)
Repent of Sins (Acts 2:38)
Confess Christ (Matthew 10:32-33)
Be Baptized (Mark 16:15-16)
and The Lord adds you to the church (Acts 2:47)

No comments:

Followers